We're Hiring an Outreach Coordinator for our Day Labor Project
Job Title: Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Site Manager, Administrative Manager, and Outreach Manager
Program: Day Labor Program
Status: Part-Time (20 hours/week)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Close Date: June 30, 2016
The Institute of Popular Education of Southern California (IDEPSCA) is a nonprofit community based organization whose purpose is to promote self-determination in the Latino community in Southern California politically, culturally, and economically using popular education methodology. We promote
the development of collective solutions to community problems. The Day Laborer Program is a public safety program supported by the City of Los Angeles and run by
IDEPSCA. Day Laborer hiring centers provide a community-supported alternative for day laborers who previously looked for work on street corners to find work in a more humane, organized environment.
Position Summary: The Day Laborer Outreach Coordinator plans and carries out the outreach responsibilities at a Community Job Center. The Outreach Coordinator builds support for the Center by conducting outreach to day laborers, current and potential employers, local merchants, community groups, and law enforcement agencies, among others. The Outreach Coordinator works as a member of a team with the Site Manager and the Administrative and Outreach Managers.
I. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Acquire employment opportunities for day laborers and household workers
● identify and obtain resources for workers on and off site
● Motivate day laborers gathered at unorganized sites to use the day labor center
● Create marketing plan with Site Manager and implement plan for day labor center
● Evaluate the effectiveness of outreach/marketing materials and provide input
● Plan and coordinate various on-site activities such as workers meetings, ESL and Spanish
Literacy classes, Job Skills Trainings, etc
● Create and maintain a database of employers, local businesses, and contractors
● Assist in the coordination of volunteers, social service agencies, and interns at the site
● Coordinate the participation of day laborers in larger community activities
● follow up with and implement agreements regarding outreach reached by the day laborers in
general assembly meetings
● Document incidents, events, problems, and conflicts on site when the Site Manager is not present
● Assist in the preparation of daily/weekly activity reports
● Work with the Site Manager to organize day laborer committees that will assist in the operation,
promotion, and mediation within the site and the surrounding areas
● Support Site Manager in organizing and implement cultural events and celebrations such as the
site anniversary and other celebrations.
● Assist in ensuring that responsibilities for the day laborer contract with the City of Los Angeles
● Perform other duties as assigned
II. JOB REQUIREMENTS: (Skills and Qualifications)
➢ Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
➢ Knowledge of and commitment to immigrant rights and social justice
➢ Bilingual (English and Spanish).
➢ Ability to work flexible hours
➢ Knowledge of popular education methodology preferred
➢ Strong teamwork and organizational skills
➢ Knowledge of computer operations (Windows, Word, Excel, Internet, etc) and equipment
operation such as copiers, fax machines, and telephones required.
➢ Patience and courtesy a must.
➢ Ability to work well with diverse groups and populations.
➢ Ability to work early and long hours when necessary.
➢ Ability to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure.
➢ Insured, registered vehicle and valid driver’s license.
Compensation & Benefits : Commensurate with Experience
Women, People of Color urged to apply.
IDEPSCA is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and three references with name, address and telephone number to IDEPSCA, Attention: Guadalupe Garcia/Luis Valentan at 1565 W. 14th Street, Los Angeles, California, 90015.
Please include a daytime phone number where you can be contacted.
You can also send information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to (213) 252-2953. For more information, please call (213) 252-2952.